Category : Uncategorized
Job Title: Housing Justice Organizer
Job Location: Seattle, Washington
Position Type: part-time, 15 hours a week + goal to increase hours to full-time
Contact: Debbie Carlsen
LGBTQ Allyship is a nonprofit located in the Central Area serving over 2700 constituents by advocating for LGBTQ economic equity, housing, reducing youth homelessness and access to democracy justice in Seattle and south King County. We build community power through leadership development, advocacy and community organizing. Allyship leads the LGBTQ Social Justice Leadership Institute to build LGBTQ grassroots leaders in south Seattle and South King County.
Our mission: LGBTQ Allyship builds power among LGBTQ communities and allies in Washington State to work towards economic, racial, and gender justice. We do this through community organizing, education, advocacy, and developing grassroots leadership in solidarity with other marginalized communities.
LGBTQ Allyship Housing Justice Organizer
Job Description: The Housing Justice Organizer will lead coordination details of Allyship’s LGBTQ Social Justice Leadership Institute on housing equity – including speaker, food, venue, outreach, materials and agenda coordination. The Organizer will help prepare, research and advocate at the city, county and statewide level around housing policies ie. Housing Levy and HALA recommendations, Move-In Fees Ordinance and other housing renter’s rights policies. This will include GOTV and voter registration for the Primary and general elections. She/he/they will build community storytellers around LGBTQ housing equity. The Housing Justice Organizer will lead the logistics and outreach for Allyship’s Fall LGBTQ Intergenerational Conference on housing equity.
The Housing Justice Organizer will help build leadership and community power within low-income LGBTQ elder/senior communities and help expand and strengthen our housing justice work in South King County.
They will also lead our Democracy Justice work and continue to build our Storytelling Project.
Housing Justice Work:
- Research housing policies at city and county level
- Staff Allyship’s LGBTQ Housing Justice Committee
- Coordinate Statewide Advocacy Day in Olympia
- Organize logistics of LGBTQ Housing Equity Leadership Institute
- Identify, recruit and build leadership for Leadership Institute in 2017
- Build community leaders to share their stories at the city, county and state level around housing
- Coordinate the completion of our Report from our 2017 Housing Justice Survey
- Distribute and organize around Allyship’s 2017 Housing Justice Report
- Recruit organizing committee for Intergenerational Housing Conference
- Coordinate logistics of speakers, presenters, artists for Housing conference
- Coordinate outreach for conference
- Attend coalition meetings
- Communication – FB, Twitter, email sometimes website advancing Allyship’s LGBTQ Housing Justice narrative
Build Allyship’s Storysharing Project:
- Identify, recruit and build leadership for Storysharing Project
- Coordinate volunteers to share their stories
- Coordinate volunteers to interview storysharers
- Coordinate logistics and scheduling of interviews
- Other program and administrative duties
Democracy Justice Work:
- Register voters and lead GOTV activities
- Staff Democracy Justice Committee
- Build leadership of LGBTQ members around democracy justice
- Coordinate events around Democracy Vouchers
- Outreach and present around Democracy Vouchers to the community
- Data entry
This position reports directly to the executive director.
- Familiar with South King County
- Experience with working with LGBTQ older communities and elders
- Familiar with housing advocacy
- Experience with leadership development in marginalized communities
- Experience in event planning.
- Community outreach experience.
- Ability to track and report data in Allyship’s database.
- Experience with leading a project and achieving deliverables.
- Able to lead and accomplish tasks.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office.
- Excellent Communicator to community and amongst staff.
- Experience with managing projects.
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent facilitating skills
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience coordinating with government agencies, community organizations and staff.
- Responsible, accountable and able to demonstrate attention to detail.
- Experience with WordPress and social media – including Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and Constant Contact.
- Familiarity with Google Drive and Google Docs
- Has own laptop
- Experience as a Community Organizer
- Familiarity with queer, trans, gender non-binary, low-income, people of color, homeless youth and immigrant communities, cultures and organizations.
- Believes in gender, racial and economic justice.
- Willingness to work from home.
- Has own car or able to travel easily
- Able to start immediately
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
Salary: Starts at $18/hour with health stipend, retirement benefits, generous paid vacation and Personal Time Off benefits.
Please send resume and cover letter to Debbie Carlsen, Executive Director, at email@example.com, by March 31st, 2017.
*This position starts at 15 hours a week and we plan for this position to grow. Therefore, Allyship is looking for candidates who have the flexibility to increase their hours.